Principal MAC Systems Engineer
Employment Type: Full-Time
Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
Come work at Amazon!
As MAC Systems Principal Engineer, you will work with a wide variety of functional groups and will be deeply involved in low-level firmware design and implementation, as well as overall system integration:
You will be responsible for defining and modeling Project Kuiper’s Layer-2 wireless communication systems protocol from customer end points to terrestrial gateways via Low Earth Orbit satellites.
This is a unique opportunity to define a groundbreaking, high-throughput wireless solution with few legacy constraints. The team works with customer requirements and wireless implementation teams to define the (i) throughput / availability of network resources, (ii) assignment of resources to each customer area, (iii) coordination and control of the PHY and Network layers of the system, (iv) optimization of synchronization, multiple access, and system trade-offs, and (v) top level architectural documents for wireless system used by implementation groups.
In this role you will:
· Work within a team and take responsibility for high bandwidth wireless layer-2 system architecture as well as create documentation for technical-focused implementation such as Layer-2 standards published for DOCSIS, WiMAX, 3GPP, WiFi etc.
· Drive trade-off analysis to benefit customer experience and optimization of resources (costs, power, latency, spectrum efficiency, etc.) and develop packet queuing and scheduling algorithms
· Work closely with implementation teams to evaluate and simulate expected system level performance and provide quick feedback on potential improvements
· Work with the PHY and Network teams to seamlessly integrate the link-layer within the Network stack
· Integrate the link-layer with simulation infrastructure and work closely with implementation teams to determine external technology suppliers
· Be a key person to represent the wireless systems capabilities to management, internal teams, and third-party suppliers
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
· Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, related discipline, or equivalent experience
· 10+ years professional experience working in Layer-2 Protocol, Media Access Control (MAC) or networking either at chip, board, or system level
· Experience with internet routing protocols and concepts: TCP/IP, BGP, MPLS, and MAC layer protocols
· Previous experience defining or implementing new MAC/Layer-2 standards or advanced networking features in communication standards such as DOCSIS, 3GPP, WiFI/802.11x, LTE, WiMAX etc. and the ability to write Layer-2 protocol specifications for either wireline or wireless broadband communication systems
· Must have the ability to work in a small team and drive to go beyond expectations to deliver results
· Masters or PhD in a with emphasis in broadband wireless or wireline communication systems
· Proficiency with modeling in MATLAB and/or C/C++/System C; Experience in test automation setup and scripting languages such as Python/Perl/Matlab
· Working knowledge of Network Simulators such as NS2, NS3, or OpNET
· Should have background in wireless LTE, 5G, RLC, PDCP, RRC and RAN protocols
· Knowledge of IP, UDP, TCP, HTTP protocols and analysis tools such as Wireshark
· Experience with current software development processes and tools including Agile, TDD, BDD, CI, Git
· Experience in modeling and validating MAC protocols using simulation tools like NS3, OPNET, etc. also understanding of network layer components such as IPv4, IPv6, MPLS, Mobile IP, routing, forwarding, etc.
· Proficiency with network monitoring protocols and tools such as SNMP, RMON, Wireshark, Ethereal as well as experience with modern encryption and decryption methods and their implementation
· Broad spectrum of knowledge to be able to understand end-to-end network system architecture from wireless physical layer all the way up to application end-point.
· Implementation experience with wireless synchronization and parameter sensing techniques such as ranging/positioning based on signaling as well as low-power design expertise.
· Ideal candidate has a wireless communication systems or digital signal processing background, a passion for building real-world carrier-grade communication systems, and industry experience developing PHY/MAC layer software targeting embedded multicore processors in C/C++.
· Experience with Lab test equipment such as channel emulator, spectrum analyzers and Signal and network traffic generators.
· Experience with leading technical initiatives and key deliverables.
· 3GPP NTN knowledge is a plus
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Loading some great jobs for you...